Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Patriotic Summer Time Halter Dress


This little size two halter dress has a bit of a back story.  It started life as a little gingham apron with "Chicken-Scratch" embroidery!  I found it (in perfect condition) and about four of its sisters at antique stores over the years.  The embroidery is handstitched over the grid created by the gingham checks.  I used a favorite halter style dress and adjusted for the width of the apron.  I also had to make two cuts and then sew the three seams (one down the back) matching up the embroidery.  Tricky!  I used some red Kona cotton broadcloth for the ties and the bloomers underneath.


This little set was gifted to my heart-sister Jana to give to her great-niece Emmaline.  I thought the red/white/blue was perfect for the Fourth of July and throughout the summer.

Unfortunately, these photos were taken with my phone and 
I neglected to take close up shots of the embroidery.


Patterns:  Dress:  Simplicity # 1472
Bloomers:  Australian Smocking & Embroidery # 53 "Child of Nature"


This embroidery must have taken the needle artist 
many, many, many hours to complete.
I like to think that she would be pleased that a precious little girl
has gotten the pleasure of wearing/using her careful work.  

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails