Saturday, June 16, 2018

Project Run & Play Sew-Along: Sew Your Stash Part 3

Sugar & Spice For Tatum!

What a smile this sweet little one has!

One of the things that I love to do is rescue old linens.  The beautiful hand embroidery, crochet work, hemstitching, and lace work speak to me.  I can do some of this work myself and I know the hours of careful work that is takes to do these things by hand.  It amazes me when I discover these old linens (in estate sales, antique stores, yard sales, and resale shops) that they are not appreciated by the descendants of those that made them with such hope and love.  It amazes me even more (and saddens me, too) when I come across pieces that are in perfect condition.  It means that they were not used by the needle artist or the recipient if they were gifts.  I believe in using things.  I use my Lenox china every day.  I use my linens, both new and antique, whether stained or not.  When I come across these old treasures they are washed and put in my linen closet for our use or in my ever expanding stash to be re-purposed into something else.  Vintage pillowcases make sweet dresses and tops for little girls.  You can see some of my previous vintage pillowcase creations HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.



 This little pillowcase was one of a pair found in an antique store.  Although they had been used they were in perfect condition.  This time I decided to make a tunic top that could be worn with a skirt, shorts, or with jeans.  I decided to match the blues first and found some fabric that my dear heart sister Jana gave me a while ago.  It is super soft and has a lovely drape for a little swing skirt.  The shorts fabric is relatively new.  (In the stash only a little over a year or so.)  It is a floral and has both the blue and pink from the embroidered flowers of the pillowcase.

I love that this little skirt is lined!
 Patterns used:  Oliver + S Swingset Skirt, Simplicity #8347, and Kari Mecca's More Sewing With Whimsey for the shorts. All patterns have been in my stash for a long time.  I've used the shorts and skirt patterns many times but it was the first time using the Simplicity #8347.  As usual,  it ran a bit large but I really love the ruffles!
Skirt size 5.  Blouse size 4 with adaptation to accommodate the vintage pillowcase.


The shoulders are completely covered, so Tatum can wear this outfit to school!



 This little set will be great for P.E. in the hot Florida sun when we go back to school in August (with tennis shoes, of course)!

Check out all the other entries for both Stash contests at Project Run & Play HERE and HERE.



5 comments:

  1. This is great, thanks for sharing! I actually have some vintage linens that need rescuing. And congrats on making the deadline and getting all 3 entries in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit! She looks pretty pleased with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is always sad to see a piece that clearly hasn't been used! Still, you get to make use of them, and think kindly of the anonymous maker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! I love the re-purposed pillowcase, and the fabrics you used for the other pieces accent it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, kind ladies! I had fun making these for Tatum! Her mommy tells me that she wears the things I made her so far this summer everyday! That makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails