Monday, January 19, 2015

The Hope Chest Inspired Shower, Part 4: Bowl Covers!


Reversible Bowl Covers:  useful and attractive coverings to be used instead of (or over) plastic wrap.  They are great for taking to pot lucks and picnics!

This set was a small and quickly made gift addition to the 'Hope Chest' shower gift basket for my niece, Kelly's, Tea Party wedding shower.  (See HERE for details of the shower, an explanation of the 'Hope Chest' gift project, and the first set of gifts.  See Here and  Here for Parts 2 & 3.)

They were made with coordinating cotton print fruit fabrics from my fat quarter stash and narrow elastic in the casing made between the two fabrics.  Although I made them to go over three different sized glass bowls in my kitchen, they will fit over many sizes.  I simply traced around the bowl tops onto brown paper and added a couple of inches for overlap and seams.

This was actually the third set I have made of these covers.  I have given each set away as gifts and each time the recipient has to be told what they are!!!  The first thing they do is put them on their heads!  They think they are shower caps!  We all had a great laugh over them at the shower.  I will have to enclose a picture on a gift tag next time.  (Maybe not...  I love the surprise when they are told they are Bowl Covers!)

A little thought to ponder:  "It is only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth---and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up---that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had."  
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

10 comments:

  1. I like this idea... I'd love to make some and try treating them with beeswax, because things dry out very quickly around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of treating them with beeswax! I also thought of the fabric that people use in making diaper covers. I think it is called something like 'pul'???

      Delete
    2. Yes! It's short for 'polyurethane laminate', which is the plastic coating on it. =) I wonder if it is food-safe.

      Delete
    3. I checked it out, Charity, and the answer is that the company says 'No'. I guess that I will stick to my two layers of 100% cotton when making the bowl covers.

      Delete
  2. These are very cute! I think they are a great addition to a hope chest. I loved the towels and apron too. Your niece must just be so thrilled. It is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. These were simple to make. I would like to make some for myself! Perhaps using seasonal fabric.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen,
    I love your bowl covers and so perfect for leftovers which I always have some of. We have a lot in common - our names and I also was a K teacher for
    many years. Now retired and I miss the singing and playing my guitar the most.I hope that you have tried MusicPlay for Kindergarten and the Alphabet songs from Themes and Variations! Just google it and hopefully you can hear some of the catchy tunes. The kiddies will love it! So nice to meet you Karen! Happy Tea Day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Karen! How fun that you were also a kindergarten teacher! I sing with my students daily and will check out your MusicPlay. Have you heard of Jack Hartmann? He's from our county and his wife is an early childhood teacher. He has many songs for different curriculum categories.

      Delete
  4. Love these bowl covers. What a wonderful idea. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! I need to make more for my house!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails