Sunday, February 16, 2014

"S" is for Sweetheart: A Valentine Pinafore for Emma

 Last week I had the pleasure of making two little girl's their Valentine's Day outfits!  This first one is for a little sweetheart who just turned six and is in my kindergarten class.  I've known her mommy since she was a little girl!  Her grandmother is my friend, Karen.  This little pinafore was made for sweet Emma to wear over a dress I made her last month.  I adapted the pinafore pattern from Love and Stitches #149 "Toddler Pinafores and Pantalettes" and used polycotton eyelet flouncing purchased at Jo-Ann's.  The ruffled butterfly sleeves are from a lovely Swiss edging I had in my stash.  I made the waist piece longer (Emma is very slender but tall.) and added the sashes.  Pink buttons close the back.
 This is the dress Emma wore the pinafore over.  Karen and I have a bartering arrangement.  She takes care of my puppy-girls (shih tzu sisters) when our family goes away on vacation and I make Emma pretties to wear.  I definitely get the best part of the deal!  My little girlies get the best care possible and I get to make a lovely little girl fancy clothes.

This is the dress I made for the pinafore to top.  It was part of the Winter Wonderland Outfit for the sew-along for Season 8 of Project Run and Play.  (See post HERE.)


 I appliqued a heart on the bodice and surrounded it with some tatting.  The little heart charm is pewter.
 More charms were attached to ribbons at the waist seam.  These go over very well with the little girls!
 Here is Emma at our afternoon Valentines Party in my classroom.  It was really cold for our part of Florida so she wore leggings and fancy socks.


I hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day!  Our family's was full of events.  Our niece, Kelly, had a very romantic dinner and a proposal! We are so happy for her!   My husband's brother had emergency surgery to put stints in his heart valves.  (If you pray, please add Jim to your prayer lists. He is doing okay but will need more heart surgery because one of the blockages couldn't be repaired with a stint.)  And... Our daughter had a car accident on her way home that has rendered her car inoperable!  Victoria-Rose and the driver of the car she hit were unhurt as she was going less than 15 miles an hour but the ball hitch that was on the bumper of the other car really caused some serious damage.  However, we are very grateful here!  What a blessing that no one was hurt!  Needless to say, we didn't go out to dinner as planned!

 I will be linking this post up to Katy's No Big Dill blog for "S" week for her Sew All 26.  She has made the most creative things for her family to wear!  Check her out here.   I'll connect the link when Katy puts up her linking party.

I have also linked up to Sew Many Ways Sew Darn Crafty  February Theme Month linky party HERE.  Go on over and check out all the great things shared by other crafters!

8 comments:

  1. So sweet! It reminds me of the dress and pinafore I had made for my daughter for her first birthday. Here's a photo of her daughter, my granddaughter Nora, wearing her mama's dress. http://itwasbroughtonbylove.blogspot.com/2011/08/wordless-wednesday_24.html
    I think there's nothing sweeter than a little girl in a pinafore. Yours is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed visiting your blog. The link didn't work for the photo you mentioned but I did get to see darling photos of your grandchildren. What little blessings!

      Delete
  2. I don't know how to link it in the comment. I copied and pasted it in the browser and it worked then.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is darling! I love the addition of all the charms and ribbons. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charity! I had fun deciding which ones to use.

      Delete
  4. Your family certainly had an eventful Valentine's Day! A proposal...very exciting! I'm glad that Victoria Rose and the other driver were fine after the accident. And we will definitely pray for healing for Jim.

    The pinafore is lovely! You always do such a fantastic job with your appliques.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! Jim will have the other surgery in about 30 days. He is not in pain now. Thank God!

      Delete
  5. It's a fairy tale dress / lovely sewing and little girl ...fun to see! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails