Saturday, September 14, 2013

A is for Autumn


Katy of No Big Dill has begun a new sewing series that is just 'right up my alley' as a kindergarten teacher.  She is 'sewing up the alphabet' this year and has invited us to do the same and link to her blog about it on Sept. 6, 2013 (HERE).  She made the most beautiful dress for her niece with a subtle 'arrow' on the skirt  for the Letter A that is simply stunning.  I couldn't wait to begin sewing!

Over the past two weeks, on my long drive to and from school, I have been fantasizing, mentally designing, and sewing dozens of outfits for this series.  Alas, I have sewn next to nothing.   In my head there is a pants outfit with ants embroidered on it carrying food away and another with hand embroidered redwork animals.  In my head....that is as far as I got.  

So... I have resorted to going through pictures of things that I have made in the past that I have not shared in detail on this blog, searching for things that fit Katy's theme.  I found plenty of apple themed dresses but I shared them in a post HERE.  Finally I found this little baby outfit that I named 'Autumn Frolic'.

The fabric reminds me of watercolor autumn flowers and I just fell in love with it when I bought it a few years before I actually cut into it.  Let's just say that I was 'saving' it for this project.   This little Autumnal ensemble was made for gorgeous Natalie back in 2008.  Her grandmother had commissioned me to make several little outfits for Natalie, her first grandchild.  


I used a Children's Corner pattern called "Hilary" in a size one knowing that it ran big and would be more like a size 18 months.  I decided to add a little smocking and loved how the fabric pleated up.  It was 'busy' already so I just did a simple cable and wave pattern without any extra embroidery.  


 The little appliqued 3D flowers were from a Primrose Lane pattern called "Baby Rose".  I sewed it to the ribbon and then pinned it on with a safety pin so that it could be removed for washing.
 I made and applied lots of tiny piping using a quilting calico and lined the bodice and sleeves in the same fabric.
 I love the closure on the back in this pattern.  It crosses over and buttons with just one button.  Lots of the tiny piping added here for detail, too.
 The bonnet was made using Simplicity Pattern #2908 but I changed it up a bit by adding a frill and another appliqued 3D flower on the inside of the brim instead of appliqued scallops.
 I made a pair of matching britches but I can't remember what pattern I used.
 The outfit looked just stunning on this beautiful baby girl.  The colors suited her so well.  Her grandmother reported that whenever she wore the ensemble she would 'stop traffic'!


Although it is still VERY hot and humid here in my part of Florida, the colors in this dress are making me think of cooler weather and the coming season.  It is also making me hungry for my husband's favorite pie, pumpkin!  I think I'll make one as a surprise for him today.

Something to ponder:
"Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity.
Be a lamp unto those who walk in darkness,
and a home to the stranger.
Be a breath of life on the body of humankind,
dew to the soil of the human heart,
and a fruit upon the tree of humility."
From a Baha'i Prayer for Peace

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious! The print is perfect for autumn.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I really like it! I have a piece of this fabric set aside in my Grandmother's Hope Chest stash. ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, HS! I think that I have shown you pictures of this before. Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised that you have again come up with a gorgeous little outfit. I love the way you usually do more than one piece, creating an ensemble. This is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice. I love bonnets and I dislike seeing diapers under a dress so I typically make three items for a baby.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails