Sunday, August 2, 2009

Auditions For an Old Fashioned Sundress

Great Grandmother's Rose Garden
The Auditions
How do you start a project? Do you sketch out an idea first? Get fabrics out? Look through magazines or other people's blogs? See something in a dress shop? For me the process varies. This time I was asked to make some sundresses for a sweet little princess and I went to my fabric stash and looked for inspiration. I came up with some fat quarter bundles that I had fallen in love with last winter. I played around with them for a while and then ideas started to form. Out came the paper and pen to start sketching. Next, I went looking for some trimmings and found a vintage handkerchief, some sweet flower buttons and some pastel cluny edgings. So far, the auditons were going very well! The fabric was already washed and ironed and my favorite sundress pattern was traced....It was time to begin to sew!




I'll post the completed dress and panty set in a day or so. I can't wait to show you!

3 comments:

  1. Karen, I love the story behind Great Grandmother's Rose Garden dress,GGRG and I love the pictures of it coming together. I can't wait to show pictures of sweet Natalie wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting to see your work in various stages! Thank you for sharing your creative method,Karen....it is very helpful to me, since I don't seem to have a single creative gene in my body!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your little story too of how you decide. I usually start with fabric and go from there. Funny how differently creative minds work, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails