Saturday, August 10, 2019

Harper's Unicorn Oliver + S Swingset Skirt & Peasant Blouse.

Now We Are Six

By 
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

I am sure that we would all love for Harper to stay six 
for more than a year!  
She is one of the most delightful six year old children
 I have had the pleasure to know!

Harper is the oldest daughter of my friend and teammate, Rachel.  She is kind-hearted, generous, and very smart.  She is a wonderful reader and an amazingly prolific writer.  I do believe that she writes multiple page stories nearly every day!  Harper is a lover of all nature but she has especially loved the mythical unicorns since she was just a tiny thing.  I made her an aqua VFT 'Clara (Violette Fields Threads Pattern) a couple of years ago and blogged about that dress in this post.  Although Harper is now a big girl of six, her love for this magical creature hasn't dimmed. 

Last September I made her this little skirt with fabric I found online at Hawthorne Supply Company.  I knew that she would like it!  I used a pattern that I have loved for a long time:  The Swingset Skirt by Oliver + S.  I have lost count of how many of these skirts I have made!  The little peasant blouse was made with machine embroidered fabric purchased several years ago at JoAnn.

 
I switched the lining and outer skirt pieces of the pattern so that the gray patterned under layer would peek out of the bottom of the skirt.  I added cotton lace edging to that bottom skirt and narrow hemmed the top skirt. I also used only one piece of .75 inch elastic in the waist.

The blouse pattern is Simplicty #4206 with added length and width to the sleeves to achieve the little ruffled puffed sleeve.  The narrow elastic was inserted under the ribbon trim.

The Unicorn
by Shel Silverstein

A long time ago, when the earth was green
and there were more kinds of animals then you've ever seen,
and they run around free while the earth was bein' born,
and the loveliest of all was the unicorn.



3 comments:

  1. Hello, I think you are an amazing seamstress!! I am new to sewing but have kept a screenshot of the gingerbread apron dress you posted awhile back! Is there any chance you still have the pattern for that dress? I would be willing to pay for it as I LOVE that dress but dont know where to start on making one for my 6 year old daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I think you are an amazing seamstress!! I am new to sewing but have kept a screenshot of the gingerbread apron dress you posted awhile back! Is there any chance you still have the pattern for that dress? I would be willing to pay for it as I LOVE that dress but dont know where to start on making one for my 6 year old daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment! That is one of my favorite dresses, too! I made two of them that year as gifts for the grandchildren of friends. I adapted the Annie Sundress and Jumper by Primrose Lane to have Petal Knot ties from the Portabellopixie 'Claire' pattern. Both of these patterns will have found to be found on the internet and are paper patterns. Google and they will turn up. The little gingerbread face was adapted from as apron pattern: Simplicity #1954. If you go to the original postings of the dress and apron, you will get a bit more details. Just go to to the side bar marked Labels and click on the word Christmas. The little blouse under the gingerbread dress was made using a similar pattern to the one Harper is wearing in this post. I almost always add width (3 inches) to the sleeves to make them puffier and about an inch in length and add lace to make the ruffle on the bottom of the sleeve. I used the width of the fabric for the skirts for both front and back and didn't pleat, just gathered them using two gathering lines and sewing between them, then pulling out the bottom gathering thread. I find that the gathers are prettier when I do these extra steps.

      Please contact me again if you need more help or information. I am honored that you like the dress enough to copy it!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails