Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Project Run & Play Sew-Along: Streak, Stroke, Stripe Part 1

Rory's 1930's Playset




 Among my vast collection of children's patterns are some treasured original vintage ones from the '30's, 40's, and 50's.  (Let's not talk about the patterns from the 1960's-80's.  They can't be vintage because that would make ME vintage, too!)  I don't have very many of these because they are hard to find and very expensive when one does find them.

But I have discovered a marvelous source of legally copied and reproduced vintage patterns on Etsy.com.  



Frank at A PATTERN PEDDLER has an entire shop filled with gorgeous reproduced vintage patterns with envelopes just like the originals.  The copies are printed on sturdy paper and are very clear.   In addition,  all the big pieces are cut and taped together for the vintage sewing enthusiast.  I have purchased about 15 of these patterns so far and this is the first one I have made up.  (BTW:  I am not affiliated with this shop in any way, except as a very satisfied customer!)


I was anxious to make this pattern up because of those cute shoulder/arm ties!



Rory reminded me so much of Shirley Temple in this outfit and those sweet curls!



Original copyright:  1934.  From A Pattern Peddler on Etsy.com.
Pattern:  Vintage McCall 7813, size 2.

Although the pattern has sweet little shorts included, I opted to make a pair from one of my go-to shorts patterns in Australian Smocking & Embroidery # 78 in a size 2.  (Rory is a slender three year old and these fit perfectly.)


Fabric:  Poly-cotton plisse from JoAnn Crafts purchased ages ago.

I did make one change to the pattern.  I added a placket and a ribbon tie to the back to facilitate dressing for a busy three year old.

Those curls!




Love this sweet pose!


  I have another dress I am working on to enter for this striped   
Sew-Along challenge for an almost 8 year old young lady.  It just needs buttonholes and buttons. 
 I hope to fit in a photo shoot and get that one blogged before Saturday's deadline!  

Be sure to check out the Project Run & Play Stripes challenge and Sew-Along challenge HERE and HERE.

4 comments:

  1. That's a very modern "cold shoulder" style for a vintage pattern, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just shows that there really is nothing new in fashion, just reinterpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I like the fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! And, yes, those are Shirley Temple curls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails