Friday, July 19, 2019

A Bunny for Honey Bee


from the blog:  http://ohfirstgradefriends.blogspot.com/

Sweet little Honey Bee (AKA:  Rosalie) is the daughter of Marnie, one of my teammates at school.  Marnie is just two years older than my daughter and is already an amazing kindergarten teacher with three years under her belt.  She and her husband are the epitome of hard working young adults.  Last year they purchased their first home and opened a retirement account!  As the oldest member of the kindergarten team I feel great motherly/grandmotherly pride in their accomplishments! 

I made Honey Bee a bunny themed dress just this past April.  I used fabric that I purchased from Farmhouse Fabrics in a bundle that I received within the last year.  If the fabric hasn't 'mellowed' in my stash for at least a year, I consider it 'brand new'!  (There is fabric in there from 24 years ago!) 


Patterns:  Children's Corner 'Lucy' Dress & 'Madeline' Panties, size 4
Fabric:  Mia Whittemore's 'Flourish' by Windham Fabrics and
 'Joliyou' by Riley Blake Designs
Bunny Applique:  Pieces from an old stuffed bunny pattern, enlarged

The bunny applique is hand cut and blanket stitched on the machine.  I was inspired by large applique animals on simple A-line dresses I have seen on Pinterest.  I fussy-cut the bunny so that a flower would be right where I wanted to put the button eye.  I thought Rosalie would enjoy the floppy ear.



Honey Bee is only three years old but is so expressive in her gratitude for the things I make for her! She saw the dress hanging in the car when her mother picked her up from nursery school and exclaimed, "Pretty dress!  Is it for me?!"  When told that I had made it for her, she kept saying, "Thank you!  Thank you!"  This one gets worn often, I am delighted to say.  




I have made this pattern just three times, all in the past year although I have had the pattern for a long time.  I don't know why I put off making it!  It is adorable and finishes beautifully.  I love the full lining and that it can be made reversible.  In fact, this is the first 'Lucy' that I didn't make reversible.

Busy as a little honey bee!
 Honey Bee is only three and look how brave she was at Busch Gardens with the birds!
  A girl after my own heart!

Have you had an unused pattern for a long time
 that has turned into a favorite? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails