Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Doll Clothes for Chloe's AG Doll


Chloe.  This child stole my heart long ago!  She is the third child of four of my friend Kaye and, I like to think, the one most like me in spirit.  If I had been raised by Kaye, I would have had a voice much earlier in life.  Chloe is nine now and is a compassionate, outgoing free thinker mermaid with the greatest imagination and so many creative talents.  I admire her so much!  But I admire her mother even more for the wonderful job she is doing raising this sweet young girl!  

Chloe has an American Girl doll that she enjoys.  I believe that she has the 1930's Kit with the shorter blonde hair.  The window for playing with these dolls is very short so I was in a hurry to make these togs for her doll.  I adapted patterns from youcanmakethis.com for all the clothes. I wanted the first set to match some things I had made for Chloe herself.  You can find a post on Chloe's set HERE.

Outfits modeled by my daughter's Samantha doll.

Cute little reversible skirt with the same peasant blouse.


Now the next little set has a back story.  I made the sweet little hand embroidered Oliver + S 'Class Picnic Blouse' for Chloe a couple of years ago.  Kaye had some 'help' with the laundry and much of the shirt was stained with whatever red article it had been washed with and no amount of soaking (even in a Biz bucket) would get the stains out.  She gave it to me to see what I could do.  Well, removing the stain was impossible so I cut it up and made it into a three piece outfit for Chloe's doll.  

Chloe in the original shirt.  See post HERE for details on the
 multiple mix and match outfit HERE.

I was happy that the hand embroidered sections of the blouse were the least stained!  I cut up and discarded the material that was too stained to work with and designed a halter top, skirt, and capris with what was left.  That beautiful heirloom lace really shines on the doll clothes!  I love how these came out!  It reminds of me a book I have in my classroom Something From Nothing by Phoebe Gilman.  It is the story of a Jewish tailor who turns his grandson's baby blanket into a series of special things for the child as he gets older.  The blanket turns into a coat, a tie, a handkerchief, and lastly a button for the boy.  Very tender and full of love and creativity.


Have you ever refashioned/recycled 
something treasured into something new?


4 comments:

  1. My mother used to turn my Dad's disintegrating shirts into blouses and petticoats for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you treasured those special clothes made from your dad's shirts! Memories!

      Delete
  2. I love this so much! You make the cutest little outfits! My little girl is starting to be interested in American Girl Dolls and I can't wait to get her one. She was given a Bitty Baby from her sister when she was born and for her 4th Birthday we'll be taking her to the AG store in LA to get a doll and some other gifts (this is instead of having a party). But those clothes are expensive, I'm excited to one day teach her how to sew, maybe we can make them matching outfits together! Blessings, Loni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful fourth birthday present! I know that you all will have fun making the clothes for your daughter's special doll. If you ever need any ideas for patterns, let me know. I have been making doll clothes for over 20 years!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails