Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pinafore Sundress Outfit From Vintage Patterns


I love vintage sewing patterns!  I love so many of the styles of years gone by:  full skirts, circle skirts, bonnets, butterfly sleeves, puffed sleeves, and beautiful embellishments.  I made this little ensemble in 2008 and sold it at the Women's Exchange in St. Augustine.  I used two very old patterns from my pattern stash to create this toddler outfit with vintage appeal.
The fabric was a soft muted yellow floral cotton that reminded me of fabrics in the 1940's.  The embroidered eyelet was some that I had 'mellowing' in my stash and was just enough for the butterfly sleeve treatment.  The buttons were from a button box passed on to me by a friend.
The pattern is one of those really old ones from the 1940's that had been ordered from a newspaper and had no written pattern markings, just different sized holes arranged in patterns to show what the pieces were for and how to attach them.  This was my first attempt at sewing with one of these patterns and I discovered that it wasn't difficult at all for someone with pattern reading experience.  The pattern called for a deeper hem but the style was already a short one so I opted for a narrow hem.  The little shorts were part of the original pattern and were obviously quite needed for modesty.

 The bonnet was made from a different vintage pattern from the same decade.

 The bonnet buttoned in the back making the bonnet much easier to wash and iron.
 The bonnet has a great brim for shielding delicate skin from the sun's damaging rays.
Someday I'll have to make these patterns again.  I hope you enjoyed them!

Something to ponder:
The game of life is a game of boomerangs.
Our thoughts, deeds, and words return to us
sooner or later with astounding accuracy."
Anonymous

Think wonderful thoughts, do kind deeds, and speak beautiful words, my friends!  Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. What a precious little outfit this is! I love everything about it--pattern, fabric choice, trim. I'm surprised to hear that you found it easy to sew with unmarked pattern pieces! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i have a copy of pattern please or where n can i get it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails