Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Twirly Skirts for Little Girls

 Little girls love to twirl and twirl and full skirts are just perfect for twirling!  The music note skirt was made for Kaitlyn a couple of years ago.  Kaitlyn sings and plays the piano so this fabric choice was an easy one.  The skirt is a double layer with each hem encased in some vintage bias binding a friend gave me.  The skirts are then attached to a waistband that has a flat front and an elastic casing in the back.  The ties are inserted at the waist and can be tied in the front or the back.  I like the bow in the front.   I used an Olabelhe pattern called "Kirstin" (you can find it HERE.)
Loved that dotted bias binding!

This next skirt was a birthday gift and I made it without a pattern.  I just made a double skirt and attached it to the narrower waist band.  It has elastic all around the skirt (I didn't have the child's measurements) and ties in a bow in the front or back.  I think that the bow looks prettier in the front.  It covers the elastic waistband.  This skirt and the next one were made with plisse I purchased at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts and will not need ironing at all...a boon for busy mommies.
 This next skirt was made as a TQ (thank you) for Ellie a couple of years ago (the year I didn't blog).  Her mommy was a wonderful volunteer that I had the pleasure of working with twice.  I had Ellie's big brother the year before.  I used the 'Kirstin' pattern again.  I really love the flat front band, however, it limits the wearing time for the child.  I wanted to see if I could make an adjustable waist  using buttonhole elastic.  I did take photos of the steps I took so that I could do it again.  I will post them in a little tutorial later this week.
I have more to share (lots more)!  I did finish the last TQ dress for this year and delivered it on my last day of school (not the last day for children, though).  I have also been working on a couple of sunsuits made with the free pattern offered by Lisa at Mommy's Apron Strings called "Timmy and Mary's Sunsuit".  It is a simply darling sunsuit based on one of Lisa's vintage patterns.  The pattern printed out beautifully and went together like a charm.  I can't wait to show you!

What are you sewing?  Are you making cool and comfy clothes for little ones?  Sewing for the little ones in your life is such fun!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous skirts! They've all got good twirl potential!!
    Look forward to seeing the sunsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet! I really love the music notes one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable!!..I have a sister who loves to Sew as well, This is heading her way so she can see!..She's a gramma for the first time! and its a GIRL!..
    I just joined your blog!..
    Kat from Under Construction!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining, Kat. I bet you will both be sewing little girl's things soon! Lisa, at Mommy's Apron Strings has just released a free sunsuit pattern. The smallest size is 6 months and the largest is a 3T. It's an easy sew and makes an adorable sunsuit. Maybe for your new niece?

      Delete
  4. Those are just tooo cute! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails