Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lined Sleeveless Bodice: A Little Tutorial

I recently made a basic bodice dress for a little girl for Week 1 of Project Run and Play's sixth season that included a completely lined bodice that requires no top-stitching. (See here.) I took some photos as I made the dress with the idea of putting a tutorial together for any sewists who might want to try some different techniques.  I had no idea until I started editing the photos and writing descriptions, how hard this is to accomplish!  I am amazed that there are so many women who do this regularly. I applaud you!

I did not take any photos of me cutting out the bodice pieces.  I cut two front bodice pieces on the fold and two back bodice pieces on the fold.  The back bodice pieces will be folded in half to form the two lined back bodice pieces.  My first photo was taken after the front and back bodice pieces (and linings) were sewn together at the shoulder and the neck was sewn right sides together.  When you sew the back bodice pieces to the front and the front lining it will look like a big circle with one side of each bodice back attached to the bodice front at one shoulder and the bodice lining at the other shoulder.  You will then fold the pieces over on each other so that all right sides are  facing each other and the back bodice folds are in the center back like in the photo below.  Happily, I photographed all the next steps and gave details on each photo.  Once you try this technique, I really think you will love it and never line a dress any other way.  You will want to click on the photos to enlarge them to see the writing on each one.
 Oh, I forgot to tell you to get your ironing set up ready and turn the iron on.  It is important to press after each step.  When I learned to sew, a wise woman told me to NEVER sew over a seam without pressing it first.  I press after each step and it makes the finished project so much better.













I hope someone tries lining the bodice this way and lets me know if this helped you.  I will try to get another tutorial together on how to do those nice tucks at the hemline at the same time you put in your hem next week.  I usually do my hems before I attach the skirt to the bodice.  The following week I will show you how I attach the skirt and enclose the seams with the bodice lining (partially at the same time).

4 comments:

  1. I have a degree in Textiles and Clothing and taught Home Ec in High School but this is the first time I've ever seen this technique. I can't wait to try it! It looks so amazingly easy, one of those why didn't I think of that things. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you did the lined bodice! I agree, it's hard to put into words and have pictures showing the construction process. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really very useful tutorial - thank you for taking the time to share.
    Deby @ So-Sew-Easy.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails