|As always, just click on the photos to enlarge them.|
I used this McCalls pattern but made quite a few changes. The pattern calls for shirring with elastic thread on the back bodice and doesn't have you line the bodices at all. That doesn't work for me so I completely lined both the front and the back bodice pieces and made channels for elastic casings in the back piece. I added at least 4 inches to the strap length and still feel they could be longer. I also made the little loops in the back longer. I added 5 inches to the sashes and lined them as well. Next time I would make them even longer. They seem very short to me. Chloe is not quite 2 1/2 years old and I made a size 3 according to her measurements. I feel that the pattern runs small and would size up next time. This is a surprise because my experience with the Big Three pattern companies is that they usually run large.
As you can see, I basted a vintage napkin to the skirt front and put the entire front through my pleater making such nice little pleats for gathering it to the bodice. I smocked the napkin section with red DMC floss in a simple heart design. I appliqued two heart shapes in contrasting fabric and machine satin stitched around them in rayon thread. The little pewter heart charm was in the jewelry findings box and was the perfect finishing touch.
You will see in the next picture that I didn't knot the straps after pulling them through the back loops the way the pattern shows the closure. I didn't like how that looked so I tied them together. The bow is big and pretty but I really would prefer the sashes to be longer. We've been having some beautiful warm weather here lately. If this weekend had been Valentines Day, Chloe could have worn this without a shirt!